Pizza Rye Snacks – rye toasts topped with your favorite part of pizza, the meat and cheese! They’re a guaranteed crowd-pleaser!
Who else has camped out on their parent’s couch to binge watched Making a Murderer on Netflix? It can’t be just me.
I’m in the tundra this holiday season, which means the only thing to do besides drink and eat is hibernate in the best way you can find. This year’s hibernation meant getting cozy and non-stop watching Making a Murderer, as I mentioned already, but I’m obsessed. Yes — you need to watch it if you’re sitting there on the fence. I’d also recommend making these Pizza Rye Snacks to satisfy your cheese and carb cravings while your’e nail-bite-watching this intense documentary.
Pizza Rye Snacks have been in my family’s snack collection FOREVER. I really thought I should change the name, because “Pizza Rye Snacks” isn’t exactly descriptive, but I’m a sucker for tradition. And the name is tradition.
My mom has made these for years, but with Velveeta. I know, if you’re anything like me, Velveeta is your secret love. It’s ability to melt like liquid gold, all oozy and gooey. But you know it’s so bad for you; I mean, is there even a real ingredient in it? I try to convince myself it’s legit, but um, I think it’s still some fake cheese-ness going on. So… I knew if I was going to share the snack with y’all, I had to change it up and put some real cheese in it.
I’m happy to say that despite the lack of Velveeta, the Pizza Rye Snacks have had a delicious make-over. They are loaded with real cheddar cheese sauce, sausage, beef, and pizza spices all on top of little rye toasts.
Make these for your next get-together for those meat lovin’ guys (or girls!) in your life for a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
Pizza Rye Snacks
- 1 pound organic ground beef
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon worcheshire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 5 Tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk warmed in microwave for ~30 seconds
- 2 cups grated cheese I use cheddar
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 loaf cocktail rye bread slices
- Parsley for topping (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 325° and arrange rye bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Brown the ground beef and sausage together and drain the excess fat. Stir in the oregano, worcheshire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper into cooked meat and set aside.
- Create a roux by melting the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and continue cooking for a few minutes to get the flour taste to cook out. Slowly whisk in warmed milk. Whisk in mustard powder and white pepper. Remove from heat.
- Add shredded cheese 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to melt in between additions. Stir in meat mixture.
- Top rye bread slices with meat mixture. Bake for 15 minutes. Top with chopped parsley, if desired, and serve immediately.