Pizza Rye Snacks – rye toasts topped with your favorite part of pizza, the meat and cheese! They’re a guaranteed crowd-pleaser!
- 1 pound organic ground beef
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon worcheshire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 5 Tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk, warmed in microwave for ~30 seconds
- 2 cups grated cheese (I use cheddar)
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1 loaf cocktail rye bread slices
- Parsley, for topping (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 325° and arrange rye bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Brown the ground beef and sausage together and drain the excess fat. Stir in the oregano, worcheshire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper into cooked meat and set aside.
- Create a roux by melting the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and continue cooking for a few minutes to get the flour taste to cook out. Slowly whisk in warmed milk. Whisk in mustard powder and white pepper. Remove from heat.
- Add shredded cheese 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to melt in between additions. Stir in meat mixture.
- Top rye bread slices with meat mixture. Bake for 15 minutes. Top with chopped parsley, if desired, and serve immediately.
- Category: Appetizer