Quinoa Black Bean Burrito Bowls are a healthy way to satisfy your burrito craving!
It’s still January, my food friends! How are you doing with those resolutions, or rather, your 2016 goals? If you checked out this crazy-easy Honey Mustard Dressing post, you already know that eating healthier is one of my 2016 goals – getting back to that balanced lifestyle, instead of overindulging on everything. Yes, I may overindulge a time or two…. ????
So I’ve been tasked with the
challenge excitement of finding healthier ways to eat my favorite foods. Taco night is one of my favorites; we line up all the toppings – cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole – warm the tortillas, and set out our fillings (black beans for me, some kind of meat for Jason). I know that tacos can be healthy, but there’s also that overindulgent piece I mentioned before. So I knew I needed to find a way to indulge without going overboard. Which is how I present to you: Quinoa Black Bean Burrito Bowls.
A few years ago I tried out a recipe for Quinoa Black Bean and Corn Tacos (and unfortunately now I cannot remember which awesome food blog site it was, and I haven’t been able to find the one I had). The filling was amazing and I’ve made it so many times since, always changing it up a little bit (hence, losing the recipe). For a vegetarian-friendly taco filling, this one is at the top of my list.
Turning this kind of taco filling into a burrito bowl is all the better. Piling it high on top of a bowl of lettuce means you cut out the carbs and add in extra good-for-you stuff. You’re still able to top with your favorite (healthier) toppings (or not healthy, it’s up to you).
I love this because it makes me feel like I’m at Chipotle, ordering a giant burrito bowl, but I know it’s good for me and I can stay on track with my balanced life! Quinoa is packed with nutrients and proteins, making it an excellent choice over white rice. Even better is that it’s so easy to make. It also makes fantastic an lunch option; you can prepare your burrito bowl days in advance, take it to work each day, and enjoy a delicious, fulfilling, and healthy lunch! I may never go back to my white rice and black bean burrito bowls…
Quinoa Black Bean Burrito Bowls
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red pepper diced
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt more to taste
- 1- 15 ounce can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 head Romaine Lettuce chopped
- Toppings as desired: cheese sour cream, avocado, cilantro, salsa, guacamole, corn, etc.
- Cook 1 cup dried quinoa as directed on package or combine quinoa and broth or water in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 15 minutes. Drain if needed. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and saute for approximately 3 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; continue sauteing for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, cayenne, chili powder, paprika, and salt.
- Stir in drained and rinsed black beans. Cook until heated through.
- Add quinoa to black bean mixture, again cooking until heated through.
- In a bowl, add lettuce and top with quinoa black bean mixture. Add desired toppings.
Check out the nutrition label for Quinoa Black Bean Burrito Bowls, too! Facts based on 8 servings and no toppings are accounted for (since that will vary from person to person). Enjoy this satisfying and healthy meal!