Creamy Red Wine Spaghetti is rich wine-flavored pasta tossed with butter and parmesan to create a creamy red wine sauce and topped with luxurious pine nuts. This recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or romantic date night-in!
Kelly, can you handle this?
Michelle, can you handle this?
Beyoncé, can you handle this?
I don’t think they can handle this!
[name that song!]… because are YOU ready? Can YOU handle this?! Go ahead, start tying your shoes and zipping up your jacket while you finish reading, because you’re about to head straight to the store and buy a bottle of wine to make this perfect vegetarian pasta recipe.
Unless, of course, you already have everything you need in your pantry – which you VERY WELL MIGHT – because this recipe is so dang easy and requires very little out of the ordinary!
And really, if we’re friends you probably have a bottle of wine, too.
Ok, so CREAMY RED WINE SPAGHETTI! I said it. It’s real. It’s happening.
One of my favorite restaurants in Minneapolis – Bar La Grassa – is the inspiration here. I’m usually partial to ordering their Gnocchi with Cauliflower and Orange (it melts in your mouth!).
However, one fateful day I was with a group that ordered a lot of dishes to share. Which, in case you weren’t aware is my FAVORITE way to do dinner out.
One item on the table was the unassuming dish: red wine pasta.
Holy moly I was sold, and knew that I immediately needed to recreate it at home so I could have it whenever the craving struck (which was often, if I’m being honest…you should be warned).
Why you’ll love Red Wine Spaghetti…
- rich, deep flavor balanced out with earthy pine nuts and salty parmesan cheese
- ready in less than 15 minutes!
- use ingredients you have on hand (again, see wine comment above ;))
- fewer than 10 ingredients needed (closer to 5 depending on how spicy you like things)
Creamy Red Wine Pasta Ingredients
- a bold red wine… see more below!
- olive oil
- red pepper flakes (add a lovely kick, but optional if you prefer less spice)
- BUTTER (naturally… what creamy pasta would be complete without butter?)
- parmesan cheese
- toasted pine nuts
Let’s look a little closer: the wine soaks into the pasta leaving it with a rich, bold, wine-infused flavor. Hint: must love wine to love this pasta. Garlic is dispersed throughout, leaving the lovely flavor that only garlic does and is paired with the kick of the red pepper flakes.
For the finale, butter and parmesan are melted in to give the sauce a luscious, creamy finish that is outta this world.
OH AND THEN THE PINE NUTS! I cannot forget about the pine nuts. Toasted until fragrant, they had a lovely crunch to the pasta along with a warm, earthy flavor.
I’ll always and forever add fresh basil to my pasta too. Who’s with me?!
What kind of wine should I use?
I know, it’s the biggest question out there.
Short answer: whichever one you like to drink!
Long answer: a bold, rich red wine. You want to make sure the pasta is super flavorful. I’ve noticed that a lighter red wine doesn’t leave as much of a rich, deep wine flavor to the pasta (but if that’s what you want, obviously go with a lighter red).
A nice merlot is my favorite, but also use one you like to drink, that’s key!
Go, now! Creamy Red Wine Spaghetti is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner (especially after a long day, am I right?) or for a romantic date-night-in. The possibilities are endless, my dear friend. Remember to leave a comment and snap a photo for social media to share!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating and review in the form below. I appreciate your feedback, and it helps others, too!
Creamy Red Wine Spaghetti
- 1 lb. spaghetti noodles
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8-10 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 – 1 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- salt, to taste
- 2 1/4 cups red wine
- 4 Tablespoon unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 Tablespoon grated parmesan, additional for garnish
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- fresh basil leaves, for garnish, optional
- Bring a large stockpot with generously salted water to a boil. While waiting for the water to come to a boil, heat a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat (something that will be large enough to hold the pasta). Add the olive oil, heating slightly, then add the garlic slices and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently until the garlic has softened. Add salt to taste. Pour in the wine and bring to it to a boil.
- Add the spaghetti to the water and boil for 3-4 minutes. Don't go any longer, cook just until the pasta bends. Drain and set aside if you're still working through step one.
- Once pasta is par-cooked in the water, add it to the boiling wine and cook it over medium heat for an additional 6 minutes – or so – until it is al dente. If the liquid appears to be "drying out" add a bit more wine as needed. Once it's al dente, remove the skillet with pasta from heat and stir in the butter and parmesan cheese until melted.
- While pasta cooks, place pine nuts in a small skillet over low-medium heat. Toast for 3-5 minutes until slightly golden brown, warm, and fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Toss finished pasta with pine nuts. Garnish with additional parmesan cheese and basil as desired. Serve immediately.
- The Wine: Use a wine you like to drink; a bold red will add the most flavor to the pasta.
- *Look for cheese specifically labeled vegetarian, if needed.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.
This recipe is part of our Date Night Recipes to Love roundup. Check it out!