Rich wine flavored pasta tossed with butter and parmesan to create a creamy red wine sauce and pine nuts. A quick weeknight dinner or romantic date-night-in!
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8–10 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 – 1 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 1/4 cups red wine
- 4 TBSP butter, cubed
- 3 TBSP grated parmesan, additional for topping
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- Optional: fresh basil, for garnish
- Bring a large stock pot with generously salted water to a boil; add spaghetti and boil for 3-4 minutes (no longer – just until the pasta bends). Drain and set aside.
- While waiting for pasta water to boil, heat a large skillet or dutch oven (something that is large enough to add pasta) and add olive oil. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Add salt to taste. Pour in wine and bring to a boil.
- Once pasta is par-cooked in the water, add to boiling wine and cook over medium heat for an additional 6ish minutes until al dente. If liquid appears to be “drying out” add a bit more wine as needed. Remove pasta from heat and stir in butter and parmesan cheese until melted.
- While pasta cooks, place pine nuts in a small skillet over low-medium heat. Toast for 3-5 minutes until slightly golden brown, warm, and fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Toss finished pasta with pine nuts. Top with additional parmesan cheese and basil as desired. Serve immediately.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: easy, quick, weeknight, dinner, vegetarian