December wouldn’t be complete without more than one cookie recipe, would it?
Who knows, things might get a little more out-of-the-box the closer Christmas gets…mostly because these Chocolate Mint Sandwich Cookies are so delicious and festive. And you know how I feel about chocolate (especially some gourmet chocolate bark).
But until then, I cannot get enough of these Spiced Snickerdoodle Cookies.
What is a Snickerdoodle?
Snickerdoodles are like sugar cookies (in fact, this recipe is based off of these sugar cookies) – soft, light, and a bit of tang. And chewy! These snickerdoodles are the just-right balance of chewy and soft.
The real mark of a snickerdoodle cookie is that they are rolled in a sweet blend of cinnamon-sugar. What’s better than the normal cinnamon-sugar mix? Adding in some extra warm spices!
Spiced Snickerdoodle Cookies have a healthy dose of cinnamon mixed in with some nutmeg and cardamom. The nutmeg adds a lovely warm spice that’s a bit nutty, while the cardamom brings in a pinch of citrus and herbal flavor. Both pair SO LOVELY with cinnamon.
Easy as 1,2,3!
Step 1: cream together the butter and sugars…and the other wet ingredients.
Step 2: mix in the dry ingredients.
Step 3: roll in the cinnamon-spice-sugar mix and BAKE!
Best way to enjoy Snickerdoodles
Is it too easy to say anyway you want it…that’s the way you need it… anyway you want it?
But really, you can’t go wrong. Like any cookie, I love them warm, straight from the oven.
With the sugar-spice mix on these snickerdoodles, they’re the perfect pairing with a hot cup of coffee or chai latte. Most of all – without getting too cheesy – I think the best way to enjoy holiday cookies is with loved ones around with lots of laughter.
Some of my favorite holiday memories are late on Christmas Eve night after I’ve made the Christmas morning strata, my brother and I exchange presents with each other by the Christmas tree lights. And inevitably we break into the cookies to enjoy with a glass of wine.
I’d absolutely love to hear your favorite holiday traditions and your favorite way to enjoy cookies this season!
Make sure to tag me @forkinthekitchen on Instagram if you make these Spiced Snickerdoodle Cookies or save it on Pinterest for later. I love seeing Fork in the Kitchen’s recipes come to life in YOUR kitchen! <3Print
Your favorite classic chewy, soft snickerdoodle cookie with a twist of spice; coated in warm cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom, you won’t be able to get enough!
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, vegetable oil, 1 1/4 cups sugar, and powdered sugar. Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat together.
- Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Mix into wet ingredients until combined. Chill for 15-30 minutes (for a chewier, “fluffier” cookie). Preheat oven to 350°F while cookie dough chills.
- Stir together remaining 1/4 cup white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. Create dough balls using a medium #40 cookie scoop; roll in spice mixture and spread cookies 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes until edges are set – be careful to not overcook to ensure a soft center. Transfer to a wire cooling rack almost immediately.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: christmas, holiday, soft, chewy