Spicy Butter-Roasted Tomato Sauce is perfect for when you need a quick, easy, and budget-friendly meal. Roasting brings out a rich flavor in the tomatoes and garlic, which, combined with the creaminess of butter and spicy kick of red pepper flakes, take pasta to the next level.
I am always looking for satisfying budget-friendly meals, mostly because my budget doesn’t always support my tastes. Shocking, I know. Am I the only one who faces this conundrum? Anyway, this sauce totally fits the bill, both literally and metaphorically.
Guess what else is fantastic about this recipe… it’s SO easy! Throw the ingredients in a pan, mix it up, and stick it in the oven for 35-45 minutes while the flavors meld to perfection. Just wait for the aroma of garlic and spices to fill your kitchen; you may start to drool. You’ve been warned.
After a long day of work, when you are looking for quick, easy, and budget friendly, this recipe is also a stress reliever. I often find myself in the kitchen if I’m upset; chopping, mixing, and simmering are calming and therapeutic. For the days when calm just won’t do, smashing garlic is the perfect solution to working out frustrations.
I’m always in favor of homemade pasta, but any pasta will do for this sauce. In fact, the leftovers would be great as a spicy pizza sauce. Want to be mega-healthy? Pair it with spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.
Get the Recipe Spicy Butter-Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, butter, red pepper flakes, and oregano in a 13×9″ baking dish; season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Roast in oven for 35-45 minutes, tossing half way through. Garlic should be very soft and the mixture jam-like.
- Once removed from oven, use a potato masher or fork to break up garlic and tomatoes.
- As sauce is roasting, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water, until al dente.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water.
- Return pasta to pot, adding tomato sauce and pasta water, tossing until sauce coats pasta.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese and basil garnish.
Recipe inspired by Epicurious.
By the Way…
This recipe is part of our collection of savory homemade sauce recipes. Check it out!