Quick, easy, and budget-friendly sauce is taken to the next level by roasting the ingredients.
- 1 28-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes (crushed or diced)
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon crusted red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 12 oz. spaghetti, bucatini, or linguini
- Basil, for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, butter, red pepper flakes, and oregano in a 13×9″ baking dish; season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Roast in oven for 35-45 minutes, tossing half way through. Garlic should be very soft and the mixture jam-like.
- Once removed from oven, use a potato masher or fork to break up garlic and tomatoes.
- As sauce is roasting, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water, until al dente.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water.
- Return pasta to pot, adding tomato sauce and pasta water, tossing until sauce coats pasta.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese and basil garnish.