The first weekend of October absolutely needs a big bowl of Spicy Parmesan Garlic Popcorn, a glass of marvelous Merlot, and scary movies.
Thank you Decoy for sponsoring this post. Celebrate International Merlot Month this October by using the hashtag #MerlotMe on social!
Now, if I’m being honest, I’m not totally one for scary movies. Growing up my brother and cousin insisted we watch them constantly, so I’ve seen my fair share. Nowadays I’m more concerned about being cozy and the ambiance over what’s on the TV, be it scary or not.
But it is October, and there’s a certain obligation to spend weekends filled with apple orchards, football games, and all the spooky activities imaginable. All of which goes splendidly well with Spicy Parmesan Garlic Popcorn and Merlot, too!
On the weekend nights where our October activity is a scary movie though, I must have 3 things: my feet off of the floor (you never know when something might grab them!), a big cozy blanket (with a candle nearby!), and a glass of Merlot.
Speaking of, did you know that October is International Merlot Month?! Naturally, that meant I had to partner with Decoy Wines and the #MerlotMe movement. As I’m sure you know, I absolutely love a glass of full-bodied, dry red wine, especially on chilly fall nights. I know you do too. Hello friend, let’s fall for Merlot!
What else do fall nights with cozy blankets and scary movies need? SPICY PARMESAN GARLIC POPCORN! I’m seriously obsessed. I’m almost (almost) embarrassed to admit how many Friday nights I’ve spent eating popcorn for dinner, with a glass of wine, and my favorite shows after a long week of work. Scandal style, anyone?
This year the combination is even better after a long fall-filled day of apple picking and chasing down all the colorful leaves. Have I mentioned lately how I’m so grateful to be living in the land of 4 seasons again? Yes, I know it’s been over 2 years since I’ve been back, but the colorful leaves never cease to amaze.
Popcorn + Wine
We have to dive deeper into this combination before we go any further. Not only is this popcorn recipe so easy to make, but it’s also absolutely dynamite with Merlot.
See for yourself:
- Crunchy popcorn
- Spicy red pepper flakes
- Salty parmesan
- Rich butter
You cannot argue with the simplicity of your Friday night. Even more convenient? In the time it takes to pop the popcorn, you’ll have your Merlot opened, poured, and ready to enjoy.
Proceed with the snuggly blankets, the fall-scented candles (which is your favorite?!), the scary movies, and all the marvelous Merlot your heart desires.
I’d absolutely love to hear how you enjoy this super easy Spicy Parmesan Popcorn recipe with a glass of Merlot this fall. Scary movie night? Check! Football watching binge? Check! Unwinding after hiking through the colorful forests? Check! Or just unwinding after a long work-week? Check, and check! Enjoy, lovelies and remember to follow #MerlotMe for all your marvelous Merlot ideas!Print
An incredibly easy snack that’s a just-right balance of spicy, buttery, and salty! Perfect with a glass of Merlot on a chilly fall night!
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt, to taste
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat oil over medium heat with 3 kernels added. When kernels pop, remove them and take the pot off of heat. Add remaining kernels to the pot, return to heat, and cover with the lid slightly ajar.
- As kernels begin to pop, “shake” the pot back-and-forth as needed to ensure all kernels are heated in oil. Pop for 1-2 minutes until popping slows. Remove from heat and take off lid.
- Melt butter in the microwave for 30 – 45 seconds, checking every 20 seconds to prevent butter from exploding. Transfer popped kernels into a new bowl (like a large serving bowl) and pour butter over while stirring to coat evenly.
- In a small bowl, mix together grated parmesan, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Sprinkle evenly over buttered popcorn and toss to coat. Add salt to taste. Enjoy with a glass of Merlot!
Be sure you use grated parmesan as it will coat the popcorn and easily melt in!
Easily double the recipe to spread the popcorn love!
Keywords: easy, fall, halloween, appetizer, vegetarian
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.