Here we are again… another Monday. Luckily, this Monday we have a scrumptious breakfast to get us through this work week.
Did you ever have green eggs and ham growing up? You know, on annual Dr. Seuss days at school, or on rainy Sunday mornings? How come – at least in my childhood world – did we never think of using spinach to make green eggs? The green eggs go-to was always food coloring … not anymore!
I had so many amazing breakfasts in what I can only refer to as hipster cafes in Australia. Each menu overflowed with incredible combinations of ingredients and unique dishes.
My first breakfast at one of these cafes was spinach eggs on a slice of tomato Irish soda bread, topped with creamy ricotta, and tomato relish on the side. The flavors worked so well together, I knew it was going to be my next go-to breakfast back home. Fast forward a few weeks, and here we are.
I changed things around a bit from the breakfast I had back in Melbourne, for the ease of at-home cooking. Instead of making a tomato relish, I use tomato slices. Added texture and a slight crunch. The acidity of the tomatoes adds the perfect balance of flavors between the creamy ricotta and the mild eggs.
Speaking of the ricotta, I love having ricotta in each and every bite. So the creamy whipped ricotta – full of garlic – is spread thick across the crunchy crust sourdough bread. I mean, ricotta AND garlic, no way to go wrong there.
AND THE SPINACH EGGS – the star of the show! Melt-in-your-mouth soft scrambled eggs that have SPINACH in them! Sometimes I have to trick myself into eating greens – or even something semi-healthy – for breakfast. I’m much more of a give me the carbs and all the sugar, please and thank you. If you’re like me, or know someone who is (ahem, maybe your kiddo or husband?), then spinach eggs are going to change the name of your breakfast game. Incognito healthy eating ??
What’s even better than healthy eating? Healthy eating that requires little work. Whipping up the ricotta spread takes less than a minute (you could use your muscles and skip the hand mixer, too!). Then you just have to use a blender/food processor/immersion blender to puree the spinach, whisk in the eggs, and cook! Your eggs just got even healthier in a real-quick way.
Now that’s how we’re making Mondays even better.
Spinach Eggs and Ricotta Toast
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon half-and-half optional
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup spinach tightly packed
- 4 eggs
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 2 large slices of sourdough bread
- Using a hand-mixer with a whisk attachment (or a whisk and some muscle!), whip together ricotta, garlic, dried basil, half-and-half*, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste, until creamy. Set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, puree spinach. Whisk in eggs, salt, and pepper, until combined. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add spinach eggs, stirring as eggs cook. Once the eggs are no longer "wet" looking, remove from heat. Spread ricotta mixture on each slice of bread, top with tomato slices, and divide eggs between each slice of toast. Garnish with parmesan as desired.