Strawberry Coconut Cake – a light moist, heavenly cake topped with creamy frosting; served with fresh strawberries and strawberry sauce. A guaranteed way to make any occasion deliciously elegant!
- 1 cup buttermilk, lukewarm
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, loosely packed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 5 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ~1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, for topping
- 2 cups diced strawberries (approximately 16 strawberries)
- 1/3 cup strawberry preserves (or jam)
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- Additional strawberry halves for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two round 9-inch cake pans; line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Microwave buttermilk for approximately 20 seconds, or until lukewarm. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and baking soda. Set aside; liquid will expand.
- In another medium mixing bowl, sift flour and stir in coconut. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar and butter until thoroughly combined. Once sugar and butter is creamed, add room temperature egg yolks one at a time, beating between each addition. Mix in vanilla, almond, and coconut extracts. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions, beating just until blended between each addition.
- Using clean beaters, beat egg whites and 1/4 teaspoon salt in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Fold in half of the egg white mixture into the batter until combined. Fold the rest of the egg white mixture just until blended. Divide evenly between cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean and cake bounces back when lightly touched. Cool on cooling rack for 10-15 minutes. Run a knife around edges, invert pan onto cooling rack, and gently remove parchment paper from the bottom of the cake. Cool cake completely before frosting.
- Using an electric mixer, blend together cream cheese, butter, and coconut extract. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, blending between each addition and scraping sides as needed. Continue blending for 3-5 minutes on medium speed until light, fluffy, and smooth.
- On a cooled cake, frost one layer’s top, place the second layer on top, and frost top and sides of cake. Lightly pat shredded coconut on top and edges of cake.
- In a food processor, puree diced strawberries, preserves, and lemon juice. Serve on side of a slice of cake.
Use room temperature ingredients!
Don’t forget to sift the flour!
- Category: Dessert