Indulge in the best of summer with Sweet Corn Caramel Ice Cream – a creamy blend of sweet corn, caramel, and chocolate-covered waffle cone pieces make this unique ice cream flavor irresistible and full of texture. You’ll love how easy it is to make with just a little time!
Yes, you read that right. We’re diving in deep today with our best summer life and making ice cream with sweet corn, drizzles of salty sweet caramel, and chocolate sugar cone crunch. It’s the best of summer combined in one cool ice cream flavor. You might be wondering what exactly sweet corn is doing in ice cream… and it’s here to deliver the most delicately sweet luscious ice cream you’ve had.
I’m finally into that summer swing; wake up early-ish, coffee on the porch, get some work done, take a long walk, and come back and enjoy a Sweet Corn Caramel Ice Cream cone. A chocolate dipped cone, as it should be.
I’m obsessed, and soon you will be too.
Checking in though, how do you feel about sweet corn ice cream? Have you had it before? Are you intrigued? Are you ready to close the little X up there because no way? If it’s the latter, please wait!
Wait, because I promise you THIS IS SO WORTH IT! I’m obsessed with sweet corn in the summer (if you haven’t noticed) and this ice cream is no exception. From here on out, all ice cream should be sweet corn ice cream. Ok, unless it’s strawberry, but that’s another post.
I absolutely feel like I’m going back to my roots with this recipe, too. If you’ve been following along, you know I was born in Iowa and have since been obsessed with sweet corn, all the fresh summer fruits, and country music (listened to in secret, because most people in my life find it intolerable).
Every summer my brother and I would spend weeks at our grandparent’s house in Iowa, with our cousins. We’d spend hours upon hours in the pool, playing the “wave” game and seeing who could splash the highest. Wed’ push each other on the swing that hung from the gigantic tree in the acre-long backyard that we’d run through, exploring the ins-and-outs of the woods. And at night, we’d have homemade ice cream.
And let’s be honest, the only way to do ice cream in the summer is homemade.
But, I heard you guys loud and clear on Instagram. No machines! And I agree, at this point, in my little studio apartment, I don’t logically have the space for an ice cream maker. Although if I’m being honest, part of my totally wanted to buy one anyway. Judgment ruled (thanks, guys!) and I figured out how to make creamy, homemade ice cream, without an ice cream maker.
So I tried a few different methods. The sweetened condensed milk with whipped cream (the texture of ice cream, but tasted a little fake and I didn’t love using the condensed milk). Also tried the beating in a bowl, in another bowl of ice and salt, mimicking a maker. Meh, it was ok. The technique I liked the best was David Lebovit’s strategy. Whipping the ingredients together, and then continuing to beat every 30 minutes for 2-3 hours.
I KNOW, I KNOW, that’s a lot of time. I was hesitant about that. It was almost like, ok go buy the machine. But trust me, this was the most ice cream like method. Promise.
So we’re committed to Sweet Corn Caramel Ice cream. You’re gonna love it. The flavor of the sweet corn is subtle – if you’re worried – and it adds an extra sweetness without being overly sweet. There’s a hint of corn without being too corny. Hah.. get it?
Corn + caramel, I mean what’s better than THAT combination? Hellllooooo, caramel corn! The sweet, the salty, all the goodness and ALL OUR FAVORITE THINGS! Speaking of caramel corn, there’s that crunch. And I could’ve gone ahead and added some caramel corn to the ice cream, but all I could think about was the popcorn either becoming mushy, or too frozen, and leaving all of you with those popcorn kernel things stuck in your teeth. It just didn’t seem right. BUT! Inspired by Salt and Straw‘s caramel corn ice cream – I added some chocolate dipped ice cream cones.
There’s still the crunch! The texture you love in a bite of ice cream, without worry of it being too frozen/mushy/corn kernel-y. It’s really perfect. And who can argue with extra sugar cones covered in CHOCOLATE?! Because you guys. This means we can have it ALL: caramel, corn, ice cream, cones, and CHOCOLATE!
There it is – all the glory of Sweet Corn Caramel Ice Cream ready to make your weekend STELLAR!
Sweet Corn Caramel Ice Cream
- 3 ears of corn kernels ~2 1/4 cup
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup salted caramel topping
- 4 sugar cones
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon flavorless oil like vegetable(optional)
- Place an 8×8 baking dish in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. In a blender or a bowl using an immersion blender, blend corn, 3/4 cup of the cream, vanilla, and sugar together until corn is pureed and all ingredients are combined.
- Strain into the chilled baking dish and stir in remaining 3/4 cup of cream. Place in freezer for 30 minutes; then, remove from freezer and using an electric hand mixer, beat the mixture, incorporating the edges that are beginning to freeze. Continue beating the mixture every 30 minutes in the baking dish for 3 hours. As time goes on, the mix will become thicker. After the last mixing round, smooth top, drizzle on caramel, cover dish with saran wrap (not touching ice cream) and place in the freezer. Let freeze for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and oil if using (it helps making it smoother and easier to spread) in the microwave, at 30 second increments, stirring in between. Place a Tablespoon of chocolate inside a cone and spread it around using a knife. Let dry. Once dry and ice cream is ready to serve, crush cones and place on top of the ice cream. Scoop ice cream and serve. This ice cream will melt faster than store-bought, be aware!
This recipe is part of our State Fair Foods to Make at Home roundup. Check it out!