Creamy sweet corn ice cream swirled with caramel and topped with bits of chocolate covered sugar cone for a crunch!
- 3 ears of corn kernels (~2 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup salted caramel topping
- 4 sugar cones
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon flavorless oil (like vegetable)(optional)
- Place an 8×8 baking dish in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. In a blender or a bowl using an immersion blender, blend corn, 3/4 cup of the cream, vanilla, and sugar together until corn is pureed and all ingredients are combined.
- Strain into the chilled baking dish and stir in remaining 3/4 cup of cream. Place in freezer for 30 minutes; then, remove from freezer and using an electric hand mixer, beat the mixture, incorporating the edges that are beginning to freeze. Continue beating the mixture every 30 minutes in the baking dish for 3 hours. As time goes on, the mix will become thicker. After the last mixing round, smooth top, drizzle on caramel, cover dish with saran wrap (not touching ice cream) and place in the freezer. Let freeze for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and oil if using (it helps making it smoother and easier to spread) in the microwave, at 30 second increments, stirring in between. Place a Tablespoon of chocolate inside a cone and spread it around using a knife. Let dry. Once dry and ice cream is ready to serve, crush cones and place on top of the ice cream. Scoop ice cream and serve. This ice cream will melt faster than store-bought, be aware!
Run the back of the knife down the corn cob after cutting off the kernels to release the “milk”. Add it in with the mix for additional flavor!
Easily double the recipe and prepare in a 9×13 pan!
You can let the ice cream sit to freeze after 2 hours if it’s seeming pretty thick – use your judgement! I like mixing for the entire 3 hours just because I think it seems to help the texture.
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: ice cream, dessert, summer, homemade, sweet corn, caramel, chocolate, cone, no machine