This timeless banana bread recipe is the only one you’ll ever need. It’s incredibly moist, has the perfect amount of banana, with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup mashed bananas (approximately 2–3 bananas)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Optional: walnuts for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease loaf pan well.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- Cream the shortening in a separate bowl. Add the sugar gradually and continue beating until light and fluffy, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs to shortening mixture and beat well until mixture looks creamy.
- Add 1/4-1/2 cup of flour mixture, beat together.
- Add a small amount of mashed bananas and beat together.
- Continue alternating between adding a small amount mashed bananas and flour; beat after each addition until smooth. Continue until all ingredients are mixed.
- Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour in loaf pan. Optional: top with walnuts.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until center is cooked through (you can test with a toothpick). I start checking after 40-45 minutes, because you absolutely do not want to overcook the bread!
- Let sit in pan for 5-10 minutes. Remove and let cool on cooling rack until cool enough to cut (I love to eat it warm still, so I can only wait about 15 min. max before cutting into it).
- Category: Breakfast