A quick and easy soup that can be made in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop – full of vegetables and warm spices – it’s healthy and comforting!
- 3 TBSP butter (or olive oil for vegan)
- 1 large parsnip (~1 cup), diced
- 2 medium carrots (~1 cup), diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- ~1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Dash of Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 3/4 cup green lentils
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped kale, ribs removed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Parsley, chopped to garnish
- Instant Pot: Turn to “saute” and melt butter. Add parsnip, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, and spices. Saute for 1-2 minutes. Turn off and add lentils and vegetable broth. Stir to combine. Close top and make sure the valve is turned to sealed. Cook on high pressure for 11 minutes. Quick release the steam once it’s done.
- Stovetop: In a dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add parsnip, carrots, onion, and celery. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and spices, cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in lentils and 3 cups vegetable broth and bring to a low boil. Cover and cook for 16-20 minutes until lentils are tender. Add vegetable broth as needed to desired consistency.
- Finishing Touches: After cooking, stir lemon juice and kale into the soup, until kale wilts. Serve and garnish with chopped walnuts and chopped parsley.
Keywords: vegan, easy, green lentil, instant pot, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, quick