Homemade vegetarian potstickers that are easy to make, and full of flavor! Serve with homemade ponzu sauce and a spicy corn flake garnish for a gourmet appetizer!
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil + additional for cooking
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion (~3 stalks), white and light green parts, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, finely chopped or minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup finely shredded carrots*
- 1 1/4 cup red cabbage, shredded*
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Bullion
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 44–50 round wonton wrappers
- Homemade Ponzu Sauce
- Green onion slices, for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup corn flakes
- Heat canola oil in skillet over medium heat. Add red onion, green onion, ginger, and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Add chives, carrots, cabbage, white pepper, and vegetable bullion. Stir to completely combine, and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender. Taste test and add salt as needed.
- Place mixture in a colander over a bowl to drain out excess liquid. Once cool, stir in cilantro and sesame oil.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove only a few wonton wrappers from the package at a time (otherwise they will dry out) and place approximately 1 1/2 – 2 teaspoons filling in the center. Wipe water along one of the edges, folding together and pinching to close. Leave a tiny hole at the closing at the bottom to let any excess liquid drip out while cooking. Place sealed potstickers on the baking sheet, and cover with a damp paper towel so they don’t dry out.
- Once all potstickers have been made, generously coat the bottom of a skillet with oil. Heat over medium-high heat, until shimmering. Add potstickers, on their bottoms, to the heated oil. Cook bottoms for 1-2 minutes until golden brown, flip all potstickers on their sides, lower the heat, and add in a touch of water (1-2 Tablespoons) cover immediately, and let potstickers steam for 1-2 minutes. Remove and continue cooking remaining potstickers.
- To serve: either pour ponzu sauce in bottom of serving dish and place potstickers on top, or serve ponzu sauce on the side. Top with green onion slices and spicy cornflakes.
SPICY CORN FLAKES:
- You can make these ahead of time! Melt butter in small skillet, stir in cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, and salt. Add corn flakes and stir to coat. Toast until butter is absorbed and corn flakes are crispy, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Store in an airtight container.
- Use either a food processor shredder or the large holes on a box grater to shred the carrots and cabbage.
- To freeze: lay potstickers in a single layer on the baking sheet; place in freezer for 1-2 hours, until frozen. Then place in a freezer bag and store.
- Category: Appetizer