Salade Lyonnaise is a classic French salad, served with a warm poached egg, bitter greens, and a tangy vinaigrette. This traditional salad is typically served with crisp bacon pieces, however, here it’s made vegetarian friendly with crunchy toasted walnuts instead.
- 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2–4 Tablespoons sherry vinegar (to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 lemon, zested
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups frisee, arugula, or other mixed greens
- To toast walnuts, place in small saute pan on low-medium heat. Heat for 3-5 minutes until warmed through and toasted. Be careful not to burn!
- To begin dressing, add olive oil to large sautee pan over medium heat. Once hot, add shallot and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add sherry vinegar and mustard; whisk together. Bring to just a boil, stir, and turn off heat. Add lemon zest. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss lettuce or frisee with dressing and divide onto individual serving plates.
- Add two inches of water in a small sauce pan. Heat to just a simmer or light boil, barley beginning to bubble. Crack egg into small glass bowl (or small bowl of any kind). Gently pour egg into the small saucepan with lightly boiling water. Let egg slightly simmer for approximately 3 minutes. Remove from water with slotted spoon, lightly shake off excess water, and set on top of prepared lettuce/frisee. Continue poaching each egg until each salad is complete.
- Salt and pepper the poached egg. Top salad with walnuts. Serve warm.
- Category: Salad