The dessert of grilled cheese; think of it as a cheese plate in melted perfection – cardamom, brie, honey, arugula, and apricot preserves layered between two thick slices of sweet challah bread.
Welcome to the wonderful world of grilled cheese.
The melty, warm, gooey grilled cheese.
And not just any grilled cheese. APRICOT BRIE GRILLED CHEESE ON CHALLAH.
Can I even begin to explain how unexpectedly delicious this grilled cheese is? How life changing it is? I mean, I know you’re probably beginning to think “um, ok weird food blog lady who puts apricot preserves and arugula and brie on challah and calls it a grilled cheese”.
Stick with me for a minute, while I try to explain JUST HOW AMAZING it is. I promise you won’t regret it.
How it came to be…
When I stumped upon my photos of this grilled cheese last week, it was as though the skies parted and smacked me in the head saying you must still share this with the world.
Naturally, I listened. So here we are with one of my favorite grilled cheeses. That is if I could have favorites, because grilled cheese is heaven on earth regardless, isn’t it?
Apricot Brie Grilled Cheese on Challah is like dessert grilled cheese – so it’s EVEN BETTER. Think of those cheese plates you get at the end of a meal that are full of sweet and savory flavors, like…
…apricot preserves (THIS KIND IS MY FAVORITE!)
Can you think of anything more beautiful?
Seriously it’s the perfect sweet and savory combination in sandwich form, which means you can eat dinner and dessert at the same time and not feel one ounce guilty, especially because greens are involved.
BALANCE, I SWEAR.
So go enjoy your weekend and start it off right, with a good ol’ cheesy Apricot Brie Grilled Cheese on Challah, a big glass of wine, and some Grey’s Anatomy. I know I can’t be the only one…Print
Apricot Brie Grilled Cheese on Challah – the dessert of grilled cheese; think of it as a cheese plate in melted perfection – cardamom, brie, honey, arugula, and apricot preserves layered between two thick slices of sweet challah bread.
- 1 Tablespoon butter (additional for buttering bread)
- 1 shallot bulb, thinly sliced
- 4 Challah bread slices
- 1/2 cup brie slices (~10 slices)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon apricot preserves
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup arugula
- In a small skillet, melt butter. Add thinly sliced shallots and cook over low-medium heat until caramelized (approximately 5-7 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Butter one side of each slice of challah bread and place butter side down on the pan. Spread apricot preserves equally among all slices of bread, these will be one side of two sandwiches. Place 2 1/2 slices of brie on each slice of bread. Sprinkle slices with cardamom and black pepper and top two of the slices with caramelized shallot. Top those same slices with arugula (1/4 cup for the two slices) and drizzle with honey (1/2 teaspoon on each of the two slices).
- Once brie is slightly melted, take the slice with just brie and the slice with the arugula; put them together to create the sandwich.
- Category: Sandwiches
Please note this post contains an affiliate link, meaning if a purchase is made through a link FITK receives a small portion at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting our recipe creation!