Whoa – after so many travel posts, which were fun and amazing, let’s get back into the simple summer recipe series, shall we?
As of now, I’ve officially set off for my summer of epic travels.
To quickly remind you what the travels are all about, it’s the year of saying F.U. to fear and listening to my gut, which was telling me that I just need to go.
Once. In. A. Lifetime.
Seriously, and I couldn’t be more grateful that I have the time and opportunity to travel around Southeast Asia with one of my longest childhood friends.
Before too much sap comes out, let’s get to this Charred Corn Pizza with Roasted Tomatoes.
If you know one thing about me, it might be that I love corn. Not even just love, some might say I’m obsessed with it. It might go back to being an Iowa girl at heart, or it might just be because there’s nothing like the pop of sweet juicy fresh corn kernels on a summer night.
And hello, PIZZA.
Spring, summer, fall, winter… you name it, I’m always down for pizza. Who else is with me?!
So let’s picture a summer night, the sun slowly setting with the gorgeous golden glow, lightning bugs appearing, and a table full of Charred Corn Pizza, bottles of chardonnay, pinot, or whatever your heart desires, and so many laughs with friends. Can ya dig it? Good.
That’s what we have today, friends. I’ll humbly admit to finally mastering a homemade pizza crust. It’s crisp, and slightly chewy, resulting in a crust you can grab in your hand, but isn’t too thick. It holds all the summer toppings you could imagine like the Superman of crusts.
And have we got toppings…
- Ricotta cheese base mixed with warm rosemary, red pepper flakes (because a dash of spice makes everything better), a hint of lemon juice for brightness…
- Sweet, juicy fresh tomato slices… we’re not leaving out summer’s other favorite vegetable (or fruit?). They roast up oh so nicely when baked…
- Mozzarella …I mean, what’s a pizza without some motz?
- Charred Corn… the star of the show, really… sweet, slightly charred, summer perfection piled high on a fantastic pizza.
They all come together to form this summer pizza extravaganza. Are you ready for it?Print
A summertime pizza with a light ricotta base full of warming rosemary, topped with roasted tomatoes, melty mozzarella, charred corn, and sweet basil.
- 1 Homemade Pizza Crust
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 2 ears of corn, grilled
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Prepare homemade pizza crust according to the recipe, par-baking for 5-7 minutes. If using a pre-baked crust, prepare as directed.
- Pre-heat oven to 475°F. Mix together ricotta, lemon juice, shallot, garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Spread ricotta evenly across par-baked pizza crust, leaving room for the crust edge. Layer tomato slices and mozzarella on top of ricotta mixture. Bake for 10-12 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, while pizza is baking, grill the corn over medium-high heat until slightly charred; approximately 5-7 minutes, turning corn as needed. Cut off kernels and set aside. When pizza is done baking, top with charred corn and basil garnish.