Best way to ring in the weekend? Creamy Artichoke Leek and Kale Dip, that’s how!
Is it normal to get so googly-eyed over a creamy artichoke dip? Because I have major googly-eyes you guys. And if it’s not normal, I want to stay weird.
Maybe I want to stay weird anyway, but that’s an entirely different blog post. We’re all here for this Creamy Artichoke Leek and Kale Dip, so let’s get to it, shall we?
If you’re addicted to ordering Spinach Artichoke Dip at restaurants, or making creamy cream cheese dips for parties (ahem, like this crack dip) then you’re going to love this. If you don’t fit either of those boxes, then you’re still going to love it. You cannot go wrong here…
- cream cheese
- sour cream
All dipped with warm pita chips?! Have we just discovered the answer to “what’s for dinner” every single Friday night from here on out? As well as the answer to what you’re going to be serving as an appetizer for those intimate dinner parties, or to please a crowd at a large get-together.
I didn’t think it was possible to like a dip more than the traditional Spinach Artichoke Dip. But let me tell you – leeks are where it’s at! And kale, because if you’ve been paying attention I’m late to the kale bandwagon and apparently it’s all I cook with now. ?
Have you cooked a lot with leeks? They have a milder, more delicate, and slightly sweeter flavor than onions and oh my goodness are they the perfect match for creamy artichokes. With a similar texture to artichokes when they’re cooked, they blend so well in this dip. The balance with the mild artichoke flavor is spot on.
I’ll be honest with you, I tried to make a “healthier” version of this dip before I landed on the final recipe. I know we’re all trying to find balance in life, and I figured if I could make a creamy dip that was a little healthier, we’d be in business. And I’m sure we would. But I’ve got to say, find balance in eating in moderation and living a fulfilled life – because there is no such thing as a healthy and DELICIOUS creamy dip. Oops, I did say it. That was bold – and I’m not knocking all those that are out there – but this, my friends, this dip is everything.
It needs the cream cheese. The sour cream. The mozzarella. It’s creamy, indulgent, flavorful, warm, and so dang yummilicious.
Moral of the story: you need all the creaminess and can balance it out elsewhere. Promise it’s worth it.
P.S. I’m just going to go ahead and say the kale was intended to be a wonderful tie-in to St. Patrick’s Day 😉 so, what are your plans this weekend? Any Baileys Cheesecake Brownies coming into your life? With Creamy Artichoke Leek and Kale Dip to start? Sounds perfect.
Creamy Artichoke Leek and Kale Dip
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 large leeks 3 cups, halved and chopped in 1/2 inch pieces - use only the white and light green parts!
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1 can artichoke hearts drained and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 8 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more to taste
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese small diced or shredded
- To taste: black pepper and red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil. Cook leeks for 3 minutes, add garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender. Add kale and cook for 2 more minutes, add artichokes for an additional minute and remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, stir together parmesan cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, white pepper, salt, mozzarella, and black pepper and red pepper flakes as desired. Combine with vegetable mixture. Spread in oven safe skillet or an 8x8 baker.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Serve warm with pita chips, baguette slices, or tortilla chips.