It’s finally here, y’all!
I know, FINALLY! It’s like I was just dangling it in front of you with the grilled shrimp, then with the dressing. It was for the sake of all parts of this salad being dynamite. And each deserving their own time in the spotlight.
Ok, but this salad. It’s here and it’s so ready to take your weeknight dinner game to the next level. But first, let’s talk! How has June been? I can’t believe it’s June already. I’ve been enjoying my balcony, and every bit of sunshine I can. It’s so funny to me how Minnesotans are. Seriously, I’m to the book a Minnesotan when it comes to summertime. Every single second I can be outside, I am.
I’m not one to go crazy with outdoor activities; I’m not a huge biker (although, I would love to get a bike one of these days. I feel like it’d bring some kid-like-joy into my life!), I don’t own a boat, I don’t water ski, but being outside in any capacity in the summer – which usually looks like patios, and balconies, and picnic tables, is pure bliss.
I’d love to hear what your favorite summer activities are – so that I can branch out beyond my once-a-year kayaking trip and once-a-day patio sessions. TELL ME PLEASE!
Regardless of how you’re spending your summer days and nights – this Spicy Chipotle Shrimp Salad is seriously going to make this summer that much more epic.
We’ve talked about the dressing already: the creamy, smoky, flavor-packed chipotle dressing. We’ve also talked about the grilled shrimp: succulent, juicy, also smoky, and spicy, grilled shrimp. Those, my friends, are the stars of the salad.
Tossed into the mix are:
-fresh sweet corn
– juicy tomatoes
Everything you’d want in a Southwest-inspired salad! Besides, we all know that you can’t have a summer recipe without fresh sweet corn, am I right?! And you guys. These crispy onions. Or shoestring onions. Or fried onions. Whatever you want to call them, I’m loving them in this salad. It’s not often I buy a package of them, so obviously when I do it has to be for a very good purpose.
Behold, crispy onions atop this Spicy Chipotle Shrimp Salad. You’ll love the crunch they add in the salad – not to mention the texture and hint of onion flavor they bring! #winning!
Don’t forget to leave a comment and let me know which summer activity should be next on my list. I highly recommend you enjoy this salad at an outdoor seat of sorts for your next summer adventure. 🙂Print
A flavorful southwest-inspired salad, perfect for summer!
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 – 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2-4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup tightly packed cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- 4-5 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ears of corn kernels
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/4 up crispy onions
- Shrimp: In a food processor or blender, puree peppers, sauce, garlic, honey, lime juice, olive oil, and salt. Pour over raw shrimp and stir to coat evenly. Let shrimp marinade in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (up to one hour). Meanwhile, continue on to making the dressing and salad. Once shrimp is done marinading, remove and let any excess marinade drip off. If using an outdoor grill, I recommend placing the shrimp on a skewer. Place on a clean grill rack or a heated grill pan over medium heat. Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes until pink and translucent. Be careful not to overcook!
- Dressing: In a food processor, add all ingredients and pulse to combine. See note, and add additional chipotle peppers as needed. Salt to taste. Set aside or in the fridge until ready to toss salad.
- In a large bowl, toss romaine, black beans, corn kernels, tomatoes, and crispy onions together. When ready to serve, toss with dressing (I start with about half, or several Tablespoons worth, and add as needed). Top off salads with grilled shrimp and enjoy!
For the dressing, I start with 2 chipotle peppers, and add another if I need to depending on the spiciness level desired. See dressing post for additional information.
Keywords: salad, healthy, summer, chipotle, creamy, shrimp, spicy, southwest, healthy