The snack of all snacks, the vegetarian appetizer of all appetizers, and the perfect side dish for burgers of all kids, sandwiches of all kinds, and all around loved by…everyone? I’m going with everyone. It’s tots!
And not just any tots. Frozen tater tots that crisp up in the air fryer beautifully. So much so that you’d think they’re actually fried. And you didn’t even need to grease up a pan or turn on the stove.
Whether you’re ready to dive into a plate full of golden brown, sizzling tater tots as they are, or add your favorite seasoning blend, or heck, even make loaded totchos (you know, all the best nacho toppings, but on tots), you’re gonna love these.
Making frozen tater tots in the air fryer is truly the best method, and it takes just 10 minutes until you have hot, crunch-to-creamy textured tater tots to dip and devour.
Obviously, the spotlight is shining bright on frozen tater tots! Grab a bag of your favorite brand – or even try out a mini version!
Other than that, I’d recommend seasoning as desired. You’ll want to salt them, but why not jazz it up with one of these varieties? Pick and choose, and if you’re serving them with a meal, there’s definitely a spice mix to fit into it.
- If you’re already salting the tots, take it up a notch with seasoned salt, instead.
- For a spicy flare, try cajun seasoning.
- What could be better than tots + nachos to make totchos!? Sprinkle on our house favorite mild taco seasoning, or try fajita seasoning for a similar vibe!
- If you love black pepper, you’ll definitely want to add lemon pepper seasoning.
- And ranch lovers, now you don’t have to wait for the epic dip…toss them with dry ranch seasoning for added flavor!
The list doesn’t have to end there, though. Just like crispy potatoes, tater tots make the perfect vehicle for spices, dips, and more.
This air fryer is easy to use and is the perfect size for two or a small family.
How to Make Air Fryer Tater Tots
When it comes to favorite things tater tots in the air fryer is definitely on the list. If you’re going to argue that hot, crispy, tender, potatoes are not one of life’s greatest pleasures, then take that negativity elsewhere.
Even better, there’s no oil required, and you’ll be ready to enjoy in just 10 minutes or so – all without turning on the oven, preheating anything, and exerting too much effort.
So here’s the plan: spread tater tots on the crisper rack of the air fryer basket in as even of a layer as possible. If you want the *crispiest* outcome, trust me on the single-layer thing. If they are piled high, they won’t get as crispy. It’s worth the double batch if needed.
Once they’re in the basket, it’s as simple as turning the air fryer on to 400° and cooking for around 8-10 minutes. Be sure to shake halfway through to monitor their progress and ensure they’re evenly crisping up.
The cook time will vary slightly if you have a pile of tots instead of an even layer, as they’ll take longer to cook.
Cooking mini tater tots in the air fryer? They’ll need less time because they’re smaller, around 5-7 minutes.
That’s it! With the tots at your desired level of doneness, sprinkle on the seasoning immediately, so it sticks to their hot exterior. Give them another good shake so the spices you used get evenly coated. You might want to wait a minute before digging in if you can resist because they will be hot!
Serving Suggestion for Tots
My other favorite thing? Dipping any sort of potato in any sort of homemade sauce. So you know there’s no doubt we’re going for it when serving up these little crispy bites of potato puffs. We’re not just talking about good old-fashioned ketchup and mustard either.
Other delicious sauces and dip options include:
- Creamy & Spicy Jalapeno Sauce –it’s not just for tortilla chips, my friends!
- Super Easy Tzatziki Sauce – make it in 5 minutes while the tots cook; it would all be excellent together in a Greek gyro (yes, tots in place of the fries you often find in those pita sandwiches!).
- Buffalo Sauce – hello! Of course we’re going here! Load them up with blue cheese crumbles (or drizzle on blue cheese dressing, too) and sliced green onion too and have yourself one heck of a meal.
- Romesco Sauce – maybe not traditional per se, but this roasted red pepper sauce works so well with potatoes, it’s a hit with tots.
- Homemade Queso – because why would you not want to drizzle, dip, and smother them in cheese sauce?
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating and review in the form below. I appreciate your feedback, and it helps others, too!
Get the Recipe 10-Minute Frozen Tater Tots in Air Fryer
- 2 cups frozen tater tots*
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- In the basket of the air fryer, spread the frozen tater tots in an even layer on top of the crisper rack. It's important to not pile them too high so they have proper air circulation for crisping up! Other than that note, you can really add as many or as few tots as you'd like.2 cups frozen tater tots*
- Set the air fryer to 400°F. Cook for 8-10 minutes, tossing halfway through. If you have a lot of tots, you may need more time. Mini tots will cook faster.
- Once crispy and ready, toss immediately with seasoning of choice and serve with your favorite dipping sauces! Store any leftovers (if that's a thing?!) in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the air fryer.½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- *Use as many tater tots as desired.
- Air Fryer: this recipe was tested with a 4-quart Ninja air fryer. The exact cook time may vary depending on the model of your air fryer.