Whether it’s for a wedge salad, a plate of wings, or Buffalo Cauliflower Bites, Homemade Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing is a must-have accompaniment. It’s creamy, tangy, and so easy to make you’ll never use store-bought again!
If you’re a dip lover, you’re in the right place. And if you love recipes that are super versatile and having it on hand makes your life 864 times easier, then you’re in the right place too.
And if you just love delicious food that’s full of flavor, well, you’re also in the right place.
So stick around, because this homemade blue cheese dressing does not disappoint.
You’re going to make it to dip, spread, slather, and dress, and then keep an extra jar in the fridge for when the craving strikes.
It’s been my personal favorite accompaniment to homemade buffalo sauce, both of which I’ve paired several ways that I am SO EXCITED to share with you. But first, let’s focus on this blue cheese deliciousness.
- Sour Cream and Mayonnaise – these create the base for this thick, chunky dressing/dip, adding the creaminess with a bit of tang
- Lemon Juice – adds a fresh acidic component to the sauce; you could easily substitute buttermilk in its place if you’d prefer buttermilk blue cheese, or in addition – but more on that later…
- Parsley – some purists may consider this addition slightly untraditional, but I find the addition of it brings a nice freshness to the dressing along with a little earthy, pepper flavor
- Garlic – need I really say more?
- Blue Cheese – the star of the show – er, recipe – right here. It’s pungent and creamy and salty and sharp and oh so absolutely delicious paired with the rest of these ingredients.
What kind of blue cheese should I use?
The most basic answer is the truest one: the one you like to eat!
You can buy blue cheese crumbles if you’re on a time crunch, or for the most purest form, buy a wedge of blue cheese and crumble it yourself for the most authentic flavor, texture, and taste!
If you want it to be super sharp blue cheese, I recommend using a Roquefort (which is made from Sheep’s milk in France) or a very robust Gorgonzola (made from cow’s milk in Italy).
Either way, you really can’t go wrong!
The Recipe Steps
All you’ll need to make this easy recipe is one bowl, a spoon (or fork to smash the blue cheese- more on that in a minute), and a good taste tester.
In an effort to keep this blue cheese dressing chunky, with as few dishes as possible, we’re not blending any of the ingredients in a food processor .
Instead, start with a mixing bowl and combine all ingredients, except half of the blue cheese. Stir them together until combined, smashing in the blue cheese chunks as you go; this helps smooth out the dressing somewhat and results in a creamy texture.
Then, fold in the remaining blue cheese crumbles for your chunky dressing. That’s it!
This recipe uses a minimal amount of excess liquid, resulting in a thick dressing, which makes it perfect for dipping. If you want a thinner dressing for salads, or you just prefer it to be more thinned out, add in a tablespoon or more of milk or buttermilk, until your desired consistency is reached.
So, you’re not so into the chunky aspect of blue cheese dressing? Go ahead and complete the first step in your food processor . Doing so will smooth the blue cheese more throughout the dressing, and you can still fold in the remaining blue cheese for a slightly chunky aspect. Or, you do you and puree all the blue cheese if that’s your thing!
It’s absolutely versatile to adjust to your texture preferences. And that taste tester? Be sure to taste test and adjust salt levels as needed, which may vary depending on the exact type of blue cheese you’re using.
Ways to Use Blue Cheese Dressing
There are the two very obvious ways:
- On a salad (see notes above: you may want to make this chunky version a bit more thin if using this way).
- As a dip with chicken or cauliflower wings.
And a few more, maybe not-so-obvious ways:
- dip for veggies, pretzels, or chips
- on a burger or loaded veggie sandwich
- serve with roasted veggies
- make a buffalo tofu/chicken/veggie wrap and add it in
- on a baked potato (sweet potato works too!)
Be sure to check out these recipes, as they’re excellent when paired with this creamy blue cheese dressing and dip recipe, too!
- Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- Bourbon BBQ Wings
- Chipotle Shrimp + Salad
- Spread it on Socca
- Dip Rosemary Garlic Fries in it
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating and review in the form below. I appreciate your feedback, and it helps others, too!
Homemade Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 TBSP fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup blue cheese crumbles (4 oz. container) divided
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine half of the blue cheese and the remaining ingredients, using a fork or spoon to "smash" the blue cheese into the mixture. Fold the remaining blue cheese in to preserve the crumbles. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.