Simple summer recipes are still going strong! 💪🏽
This is going to be short and sweet today – because not only are Potato and Corn Hobo Packets super short and sweet, but I’m just in between travels for a short while. We arrived back in Melbourne late last night and then turn around and head to New Zealand tonight for a few days.
Now about these hobo packets…
I’m not entirely sure if the concept of “hobo packets” is the Midwest’s doing, but I do know I grew up eating some version of hobo packets each summer. They’re super easy to throw together, versatile, and friendly on the wallet. What more can you ask for in a summer side anyhow?
My favorite kind of hobo packet is this – potatoes and fresh sweet corn – with loads of butter. The butter melts and everything cooks together in a magical way that seems to be only delivered by hobo packets. There must be something in the way the veggies are wrapped in foil and tossed on the grill to cook, unattended to, while you’re throwing the bocce ball and summertime sippin’. Or maybe it’s just my nostalgic heart.
Either way, the magic is all in the ease of making hobo packets. Yes, it really is as easy as throwing everything in some foil, grilling (or baking in the oven), opening it up, and sticking a serving spoon right in the foil. No dishes required either. That’s what I call winning.
In addition to copious amounts of butter, I’ve started adding thinly sliced yellow onions to the mix. They don’t quite caramelize since it’s not direct heat, but they become soft, and slightly sweet, adding loads of flavor and texture to each bite.
We can’t forget garlic, extra salt, pepper, and parsley to liven it up a bit too. If you’re feeling extra adventerous, add in a sweet potato, broccoli, shrimp, bacon… possibilities are endless (you may just need to adjust cooking time and/or make sure your pieces of heartier veggies are small).
Now tell me: how have you been enjoying your summer?! I’ve just started up my personal Instagram account again – so go ahead and follow @beccatess for the personal look into all my travels/daily life… no worries, FITK’s insta will still be there, just with a sole focus of delectable eats.Print
A super easy side dish perfect for summer BBQs!
- 2 yukon gold potatoes, small dice
- 1/4 cup medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Approx. 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (2 ears of corn)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Cut a piece of aluminum foil approximately 18 inches long (use either heavy duty foil or two pieces). In the center, toss together potatoes, onion, corn, and garlic. Top with butter slices, salt, and pepper. Close packet by pulling up the long edges, folding them together, and then folding in the short sides to seal the edges of the foil packet.
- Using a grill or an oven set to 375°F, cook for approximately 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Toss to combine, mix in parsley, and serve!
You can also add the parsley during the cooking process – I like the freshness it adds when garnished.