Getting back on track this week with a Simple Dijon Salad.
As this week starts off, I desperately need to get back on track. As I write this, the Vikings game is about to start, homemade pretzel dough is rising, vegetarian meatballs (coming soon!), and nachos are all waiting to be devoured. Oh, and some epic Vikings sugar cookies.
While I’m super excited to be enjoy all of those goodies, Monday is a time to reset and get my body back on track. Balance, yo!
Simple Dijon Salad is just the key to getting back to balance. First, it’s so simple! Nobody can argue with simple meals. Life is so crazy, and sometimes we need to just get back to the basics – both in eating healthy and preparing simple, delicious foods.
It’s also inspired by one of my favorite breakfasts: Eggs Benedict! With the tangy, lemony dressing, creamy poached egg, and crunchy croutons!
For the dressing, whisk together plain yogurt (greek is my favorite), dijon mustard, lemon juice, a pinch of honey and a little olive oil. It’s tangy, creamy without loaded calories, and has just a hint of sweetness in there. The best part is you can store the dressing in the fridge all week, making lunch a breeze or dinner ready in a flash!
The rest is, you guessed it, SIMPLE too! Toss together with your lettuce of choice, celery slices, and croutons. Last but not least, a poached egg is perfection on top of this simple salad. The creamy, warm yolk is just salad dreams come true.
If I don’t have croutons around, I’ll throw a handful of walnuts in for an extra crunch. If you’re gluten-free, they’re the perfect substitute!
How was your weekend?! Are you ready to get back on track, too?
Get the Recipe Simple Dijon Salad
- 1 5.3 oz. container plain yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 4 cups mixed greens or romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup croutons
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 2 eggs
- Whisk together yogurt, dijon, lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together lettuce, croutons, and celery.
- To poach the eggs, heat approximately 4 inches of salted water in a medium saucepan. Crack egg into a small ramekin. Once simmering, swirl water in the same direction with a spoon and drop egg gently into the spinning water. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. If you’re feeling brave, you can cook both eggs at the same time, just be sure to pour them into the water away from each other.
- Divide salad between two servings. Use desired amount of dressing for each salad (I usually do about 2T). If desired, toss dressing to coat the salad before plating. Alternatively, drizzle dressing on top of salad. Top each salad with a poached egg, a sprinkle of freshly ground pepper, and enjoy!
By the Way…
This recipe is part of our collection of green salad recipes. Check it out!