The only way I could roll into 2019 is with a plate full of color!
Before we get to this gorgeous salad, I have to say HAPPY NEW YEAR!
How was your NYE? What did you eat/drink/do? I’m always a homebody on NYE. My family and I spent the night enjoying a (homemade) 7-course dinner where we each made a dish from this year’s theme of “around the world”. So delizioso!
Back to the recipes… I know I haven’t posted an actual recipe in what feels like forever.
Mostly because I semi-intentionally took a break over the holidays. I didn’t really give you a heads up, because I wasn’t sure I was going to. I did a lot of behind-the-scenes work for FITK, but also spent a lot of time relaxing and enjoying time friends and family.
While it was wonderful, I was antsy to get back into the kitchen, testing recipes. As my family continued to hear me debate with myself about whether or not I needed an Instant Pot, one showed up with my name on it Christmas morning.
That means I’ve been testing a lot of IP recipes. Including the salmon in this salad! That being said – I’ll always add alternative cooking methods if you don’t have an Instant Pot .
Salmon in the Instant Pot
We’re all in the make-it-quick-and-easy camp, right?! When it comes to cooking weeknight dinners anyway…
The Instant Pot comes with a lovely little steamer rack, making it so easy! I like to put a little parchment on top of it while I steam the salmon so the skin doesn’t stick, but if you don’t have any I’d recommend spraying a little oil.
You’ll drizzle the salmon with some basics: olive oil, s&p, and some lemon slices. Add some water in the bottom of the Instant Pot , place the steam rack inside, and let it work it’s magic!
THREE MINUTES LATER – your salmon is steamed and ready for a winter citrus salad that’s gonna make you feel like summer.
P.S. if you’re new to the IP game, it does take a few minutes to “warm up”, so in total the salmon still takes less than 10 minutes!
I am soooo pumped about this salad! It’s so full of color, texture, and flavor. You know I am not about boring salads – but who is?! I also find it so difficult to find a winter salad that’s hearty yet still comforting.
This is what we’ve got:
- citrus! fresh, bright, sweet citrus!
- blood oranges
- avocado – a must-have for creaminess!
- pistachios – crunch!
- romaine – my greens of choice, a mix of watery, green-leafy crunch – you can use whatever greens you love!
- lemon-garlic dressing – it’s light and adds quite the savory component with all the garlic and shallots
Sounds perfect, doesn’t it? An incredibly easy, flavorful salad that’s super quick to make. Just what we need to brighten up these dreary winter days!
Simple Salmon Citrus Salad
- 2 5-to-6 oz.salmon filets
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot 1 small bulb
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped or minced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 3-4 thin lemon slices
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil additional for salmon
- 1 grapefruit segmented
- 2 blood oranges segmented
- 1 large avocado sliced
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pistachios
- Salmon in the Instant Pot: Pour 3/4 cup water in the bottom of the instant pot. Either oil the steam rack lightly or place a piece of parchment paper on top. Drizzle salmon filets with olive oil (~1/2 TBSP each), salt, pepper, and lemon slices. Place on the steam rack into the Instant Pot. Steam for 2-3 minutes depending on the thickness of filets, on high pressure. Quick release the steam.
- Salmon Packet: Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut a large piece of foil (to wrap around the salmon filets) and a piece of parchment paper just bigger than the filets. Layer the parchment on top of the foil, and the salmon on top of the parchment. Drizzle filets with olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon slices. Fold the long edge of the foil up and the sides in to create a packet. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Dressing: Meanwhile, whisk together the dressing: shallots, garlic, honey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste. Drizzle in the olive oil while gently whisking.
- Salad: Toss salad together, dividing between two, with grapefruit, oranges, avocado, and pistachios.
By the Way…
This recipe is part of our collection of green salad recipes. Check it out!