Super Soft M&M Cookies are here to make this week a million times better.
I wasn’t planning on sharing these with you. Not yet anyway. I mean, it’s not even February. And these are Valentine’s Day themed cookies. But I couldn’t help myself. I’ve made these approximately 6 times in the last week and a half.
Not that it’s any surprise, I mean we’re talking about chocolate “chip” cookies. Basically one of my most favorite things ever. And there’s no better time than NOW for you to have them, too.
Things have been getting a little crazier here in downtown Minneapolis, since, you know, the Super Bowl is only 5 days away. We went to so many Super Bowl events this weekend… a huge one in the convention center with Super Bowl rings, the Vince Lombardi Trophy, and a bunch of kid games. Then along Nicollet Avenue downtown there’s every food truck imaginable, live concerts, ice sculptures, and some huge snow ramp. I don’t quite understand that one. But it is Minnesota after all, and cold is our thing.
The best part was probably when I had to have my purse checked out before going into the convention center. I only brought my purse because I wanted to bring these Super Soft M&M Cookies for my family to take home with them. I started to get super anxious as I approached the checkpoint. “They’re going to make me throw out the cookies! Oh no! My mom hasn’t even gotten to try them yet…!” The woman looked in my purse and said “ohhh, goodie! snacks!!!” and moved me right along. ? Maybe not the greatest story ever, but I’m thankful that even security checkpoint people appreciate these perfect cookies.
So these cookies… when I was younger my mom used to make M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies all the time. I don’t think I’d had them since I was like 8 years old, and with a bag of M&Ms lying around, that had to change.
I started off working with the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, because, c’mon, that’s the ultimate cookie recipe. But it makes a lot of cookies, and I don’t always want to pull out the shortening and butter extract, etc. etc. I wanted the perfect weeknight, quick fix, cookie recipe. That didn’t make too many cookies. Approximately 16 to be exact (haha… yes, the irony). Anyway, it’s enough for your post-dinner fix, midnight-fix, breakfast-fix, and lunch-fix. Yep, perfect.
Even better for the weekday cookie craving – you can make them IN ONE BOWL! Minimal dishes is where this busy weeknight life needs to be.
They’re so soft, with such a slight chewiness because of the brown sugar, keeping them extra moist too. Plus the buttery, slight caramel flavor. And the M&Ms. We cannot forget about those M&Ms. There’s just something about them, isn’t there? Biting into the cookie, you get the crack of the shell, with warm, melted chocolate inside. Heavenly.
If you want to up the chocolate factor, definitely feel free to throw in a handful of chocolate chips, too. We don’t have to be M&M purists here. Variety is the spice of life!
P.S. If this isn’t obvious, these are excellent all year long, with any color M&Ms. 🙂
Soft M&M Cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 – 1 cup M&M Chocolate Candies
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Microwave butter for approximately 30 seconds until slightly melted.
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat together melted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until combined. Add egg and vanilla extract, beating again until combined. Add salt, baking soda, and flour. Mix together until just combined.
- Stir in M&M candies, and chocolate chips if using. Place a 1 1/2 to 2 Tablespoon dollop of dough on the baking sheet. Bake for 11-12 minutes, until edges just become golden brown. Let cool on pan for 2-3 minutes until set enough to transfer to a cooling rack.