Missing your favorite State Fair foods this summer? We’ve got you covered with these fair-inspired recipes. They’re fried, they’re in season, and they’re totally guilty-pleasure-worthy!
There are a few well-known facts about Minnesota:
- The winters are absolutely horrendous.
- There are a lot of lakes. Like, over 10,000.
- Minnesotans spread a lot of time outside. Especially in the summer. See points 1 and 2 for reference.
- Minnesotans are borderline obsessed with the Minnesota State Fair.
There’s no need to sugarcoat it. There is no borderline. We’re straight-up obsessed with the fair.
Millions of us come together for 2 weeks straight to eat everything on a stick, sample beers, see farm animals, and pack like sardines in the streets of St. Paul, on land that’s literally dedicated to the MN state fairgrounds.
You can imagine the devastation of not being able to gather this year. So much so that they’re actually organizing a state fair drive-through. If you’re not one of the lucky ones to snag a ticket in time, never fear! I’ve got you covered.
I’ve also got you covered if you don’t give two cents about how us Minnesotans do the fair, but you love good ol’ fair food.
You’ll find some classic favorites from MN (ahem, cookies!) and some fair-food twists in this collection, as well as vegetarian remakes of some favorite fair food classics. Enjoy!
Homemade Fair-Inspired Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating and review in the form below. I appreciate your feedback, and it helps others, too!
10+ State Fair Inspired Recipes: Fresh Sweet Corn Salsa
- 2 corn-on-the-cob ears
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon red onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 to mato, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Place the shucked ears of corn on the cob on the grill and cook, turning every minute or so, until charred grill marks appear and kernels are tender. Remove and let cool slightly before cutting off kernels and placing them in a bowl.
- To the corn kernels, add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Taste test and adjust salt or other ingredients as desired. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.