IT IS HERE FRIENDS!
Thanksgiving AND your new favorite side/salad/meal, Wild Rice and Arugula Salad.
So tell me – how are your Thanksgiving preparations coming along? I’m heading over to my mom’s early tomorrow to start cooking with her. We have our favorite traditions (and yes, you may remember I’m all about the traditions). In no particular order, we prep the pies, get the apps prepared, start the turkey, and open the wine a little early. And the best part is? Making the stuffing , which starts off the best of Thanksgiving’s smells as the fresh fall herbs and butter smells begin to waft all around.
I’m so excited.
If your preparations aren’t quite where you’d like them to be on Thanksgiving eve, then I’ve got your back! Wild Rice and Arugula Salad is so easy to throw together, requires such little time, and is another healthy option to add to your carb-loaded table.
I’m obviously assuming yours is carb loaded, because if it isn’t then what is Thanksgiving really?
Wild Rice and Arugula Salad has it all: the crunch, the sweet, the savory, the chewy…
- cooked wild rice
- arugula in a super light dressing
- dried cranberries
- almond slivers
- roasted butternut squash
Then literally all you have to do is toss them together. BONUS: leftover wild rice and leftover roasted root veggies means you don’t even have to turn on the stove or oven to make this super simple salad! THANKSGIVING WIN!
Have the best Thanksgiving ever, my food friends! And remember, if you make any Fork in the Kitchen recipes, I’d LOVE to see! Tag me over on Instagram and/or leave a comment below! <3
Wild Rice and Arugula Salad
- 2 cups butternut squash small diced
- 1 cup dry wild rice or wild rice blend*
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon white balsamic vinegar optional
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup almond slivers
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly drizzle 1/2 inch small butternut squash cubes with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 35-40 minutes, flipping halfway through cook time.
- Meanwhile, cook wild rice according to your package. I use vegetable stock to cook my rice – it adds so much more flavor than water! Once done, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, and pepper. Toss the dressing with arugula immediately before serving. Mix together dressed arugula, cranberries, almond slivers, cooked wild rice, and roasted butternut squash cubes and serve.
By the Way…
This recipe is part of our collection of green salad recipes. Check it out!