Spring is meant for brunch with Asparagus Pea Tarts — right?!
I’m so excited about this recipe for so many reasons:
- Basically, everything about it encompasses spring…
- Mother’s Day is NEXT WEEKEND (or this weekend, depending on how you look at it)…
- Asparagus + Peas + Ricotta –> we’ve seen this before…
- Oh wait, we’ve also seen it here…
- So basically I’m in love with this combination…
- Brunch for lyfe!
There’s something about this time of year when the sun is finally out a little longer. When I’m waking up and there’s a hopeful brightness. Walking into work is a little less cold each day, and the nights are a little longer. The weekends feel a little more careless with long, lingering brunches full of sangria and Asparagus Pea Tarts.
Similar to the Blueberry Lemon Pastry recipe I shared last summer, this springy brunch recipe also uses frozen puff pastry dough.
Of course, you could make your own and be a super-duper rockstar brunch woman/man, but I also get that this is real life. And sometimes you need to compromise and find balance in this crazy world. Which doesn’t always include homemade puff pastry dough.
Although I will give you major props if that is you.
So anyway, the ricotta cheese mixture is full of savory shallot and garlic flavors, lightened up with lemon, and it’s topped with peas and asparagus, only the most perfect veggie combination if there ever was one.
Asparagus Pea Tart is perfect for your mama on Mother’s Day.
It’s light, savory, and feels like a special indulgence with all of its puff pastry goodness. And needless to say, this also means it’s so perfectly paired with a mimosa or two, and a big cheers to Mom all day long!Print
Puff pastry tarts filled with a creamy ricotta filling with the savory flavors of shallot, mint, and garlic, topped with fresh spring vegetables!
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice (~1/2 lemon)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 ready-to-bake puff pastry sheet*
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed to leave approximately 3 inch stalks
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water, whisked (optional egg wash for golden brown color)
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Butter or grease a large baking sheet.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine ricotta, lemon juice, mint, shallot, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Cut puff pastry sheet into 6 equal rectangles – I use the natural folds in the sheet and then half the long rectangles.
- Spread 1 to 1 1/2 Tablespoons of the ricotta mixture in the middle of the puff pastry square, leaving approximately a half inch around the edge. Place 2 teaspoons of peas on each pastry on top of the ricotta, and top with 3 asparagus spears on each puff. Brush edges with egg wash if using.
- Bake for 20 minutes until puffs have risen and are golden brown.
You could make an additional 3-4 tarts with the remaining pastry sheet, but I like to add more ricotta filling to the 6 from the original batch and save the whole remaining sheet for another emergency tart craving.