Margarita Monday, Taco Tuesday, Fiesta Friday (with Cheesy Mexican Rice!)… the possibilities are endless!
After finally unveiling homemade Red Enchilada Sauce this week, and my new favorite Spicy Mango Margarita earlier this summer, and we can’t forget Double Bean and Corn Enchiladas either – this Cheesy Mexican Rice is way overdue.
You know I love turning my childhood favorites into homemade recipes. I grew up on a lot of processed foods – as I’m pretty sure every 90s child in the Midwest did. However, since learning more about food over the years, and becoming more conscious of what I put in my body, I stopped eating some of my favorites.
There are still so many nights I crave dinners from my childhood – like this Cheesy Mexican Rice. It was becoming unbearable, and I finally needed to make my own version!
Naturally, if I was going to recreate a childhood dinner favorite – that was originally easy to make, yet tasty, and ready in a flash, then the new homemade version had to be too!
That’s what we have here: an easy, quick, flavorful Cheesy Mexican Rice that is perfect for a weeknight dinner. Or a Friday night fiesta. Anytime, really.
From box to homemade…, what’s in it!?
- red bell pepper
- diced green chiles
- chili powder
- rice (are you surprised? ;))
- Monterey jack cheese
- cheddar cheese
Pretty basic, huh? Au natural, with no mystery from-a-box ingredients! And guess what else… you cook it all in ONE POT!
Seriously! This is ONE POT Cheesy Mexican Rice! You didn’t think it could get any better than quick and easy, did you? Well, it just did. All you need to do is saute the aromatics and flavor favorites together, add the rice, stock, and a bit of milk to simmer. Stir in the cheese once the rice is cooked, and voila, all you need to do is top with some cilantro and a little lime for brightness and your night is made!
I love Cheesy Mexican Rice on its own (basic much?), inside tacos with some black beans and toppings, or as a side with enchiladas. You could throw it in a burrito too, because what’s better than rice in a burrito? CHEESY RICE! Of course! Really, however you spin it, it’s totally a family favorite.
If you make Cheesy Mexican Rice – or any other recipe here at FITK – I’d LOVE to see! Remember to take a photo and tag @forkinthekitchen, or leave a comment below! <3Print
Looking to spice up Taco Tuesday? Add Cheesy Mexican rice as a side or taco filling – it’s easy to make, full of flavor and real ingredients!
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, diced (~1/2 medium onion)
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 oz. diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cilantro, to garnish
- Lime wedges, to garnish
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and red bell pepper; cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 additional minutes until fragrant. Add green chiles, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Add rice and toast for 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in vegetable stock and milk, stirring to combine. Bring back up to a simmer, cover, and lower heat so rice continues to slowly simmer. Slowly simmer for 15-20 minutes until liquid is mostly absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese in batches, mostly incorporating the cheese before adding more (it’s easier to mix together in batches instead of adding it all at once). Top with cilantro and a squirt of a lime wedge. Serve immediately.
I use whatever white rice I have on hand – (basmati or jasmine even, although they’re not really as authentic to Mexican rice). Adjust cook time by a few minutes as needed depending on which rice you use.
Keywords: easy, quick, weeknight, dinner, kid friendly