This weekend needs to have Creamy Corn Chowder on the menu.
Fresh sweet corn season is right around the corner and I could not be happier!
Being a true Iowa girl at heart, I am obsessed with fresh sweet corn. Like, could eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner obsessed.
I crave the buttery sweetness of fresh corn kernels in just about every summer meal I have, which means that there are going to be SO MANY corn recipes coming your way this summer. Especially since I’m back in the midwest… a.k.a. land of the best sweet corn EVER.
Contain your excitement just long enough to get to this recipe and make your grocery list. Corn is here – and the time to start eating it is NOW!
While I’m uber-obsessed with fresh sweet corn, soups aren’t necessarily on the list of my favorite type of foods.
Not that I don’t like them, it’s just that unless they’re full of interesting and complex flavors, I can tend to become a bit bored eating them. So you know Creamy Corn Chowder is going to be full of warming flavors, fresh summer veggies, and loads of goodness – anything but boring, really.
When I lived in Baltimore I had one of the most amazing lobster bisques to date, and ever since I’ve been trying to make a vegetarian-friendly, creamy soup that also combines the best of sweet corn chowders.
Mission accomplished if I do say so myself.
Creamy Corn Chowder Ingredients
…sweet corn, of course
…red bell pepper
…the onion/garlic works
…little bit o’ cream
And just like that, you have a creamy corn chowder!
Let’s talk about the corn + thyme situation for a second. Did you know the two are aaaamazing together? I first brought this combo to you with some Skillet Creamed Corn (sensing a theme here…) and it’s definitely here to stay.
Creamy Corn Chowder
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, coarsely chopped
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 2 small yukon gold potatoes, small dice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 5 cups fresh corn kernels, approx. 8 cobs
- 3/4 cups heavy cream
- Parsley for garnish, optional
- In a stock pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, red bell pepper, celery, salt, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Cook for 5-7 minutes once boiling, until potatoes are able to be pierced with a fork. Add 3 cups of corn kernels. Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, puree remaining 2 cups of corn kernels and cream in a food processor or blender. Add to chowder for the final 5 minutes of simmering. Be sure to simmer on a low setting or the cream may separate - whisk quickly if this happens. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a warm baguette for the ultimate experience.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided for this recipe is only an estimate. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.