I am officially in full-blown summer mode!
I know, it’s a little early, even for those of you teachers out there. Our school is undergoing construction and we ended school several weeks early, which I’m 100% on board with. Bring it on, summertime salads, homemade popsicles, and Roasted Cauliflower Steaks.
I have this sneaking suspicion you fall into one of several camps. Either you: A) Are already obsessed with cauliflower steaks because you’re a longtime vegetarian and this cauliflower craze is life. B) Are wondering WHAT THE HECK are cauliflower steaks? Are they steaks with cauliflower? Are they steaks at all? Um, what?! or C) Not asking questions – ready for the experience.
Regardless of which camp you fall into, you won’t regret declaring this the summer of Roasted Cauliflower Steaks.
I’m also declaring this the summer of flavor — did you see this Vibrant Middle Eastern Salad?! A perfect pairing, but let’s get to it, what is this Roasted Cauliflower Steak all about?!
FLAVOR, FLAVOR, FLAVOR! Seriously. Coated with a mixture of cumin, white pepper, garlic powder, coriander, and just the right amount of salt, these cauliflower steaks definitely deliver flavor.
While roasting, the spices also become slightly caramelized and develop a deep richness to them. Combine that with the creaminess of the cauliflower, your mind will be blown. You guys. The texture of these roasted cauliflower filets is amazing. I kid you not: so creamy. Did you ever think cauliflower could melt in your mouth?! It can. It can.
They’re called cauliflower “steaks” because of how they’re cut: slice the head down the middle, and then continue cutting lengthwise into approximately 2 inch pieces. The size of a “steak”. You’ll have the edges of the cauliflower head left over, so be sure to save them to make some other amazing recipes – like this, or this, or this.
Like I said before, serve them along side a salad, or add in rice or other roasted veggies for a complete meal! So easy, so flavorful, so right!
P.S. I’m sure you could grill your cauliflower steak. Living my apartment life, I haven’t have a chance to test them on the grill. If you do, be sure to leave a comment and let me know your thoughts!Print
Flavorful slices of cauliflower roasted to perfection – resulting in a creamy interior and caramelized exterior.
- 1 large cauliflower head
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3-4 Tablespoons olive oil
- Cilantro, for garnish
- To cut the cauliflower: remove green leaves and cut the stem just to the bottom of the florets. You want the stem to remain in tact so it holds your steaks together. Slice the short edges of the cauliflower off, to make an almost rectangle. Cut down the middle, and then cut each half into half to create 4 steaks. (1-2 inches wide depending on the size of your cauliflower).
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F. In a small bowl, combine all spices. Brush cauliflower steaks with olive oil evenly on both sides. Sprinkle spice mixture evenly across cauliflower steaks, rubbing in as needed. Roast steaks on a large baking sheet for 24-30 minute, flipping halfway between cooking time. When edges are crisp and the interior is tender when pierced with a fork, remove.
- Serve with a drizzle of cilantro mixed with olive oil, or just chopped cilantro, and rice or a side salad as desired.