You will never need another breakfast bagel sandwich again. Ever. This vegetarian breakfast is satisfying, and thanks to romesco sauce, it’s punchy and full of flavor.
I know it sounds dramatic to only need one bagel sandwich for the rest of your life. I’ve had my fair share of really good bagel breakfast sandwiches before, I mean, I have spent a lot of time in New York City in my day.
But this Romesco Breakfast Bagel Sandwich though, this, this is the ultimate bagel sandwich.
It’s the breakfast sandwich you want while you’re enjoying a lazy weekend morning, with a latte and family gathered around the table. Sharing laughs, crosswords, or enjoying the morning sunshine.
Or the breakfast sandwich you enjoy for one, following your own flow. It’s super flexible to make, and once you have romesco sauce on hand, you can easily whip it up in 10 minutes or less! That means, every morning has fabulous potential!
Bagel Sandwich Ingredients
While the combination of ingredients in this sandwich is very intentional and all work well with each other, there are a few substitutions you can make, depending on what you have in the fridge already. Here’s what you’ll need:
Please see the full recipe card below for all details!
- Bagel: I highly recommend an everything bagel, but definitely choose what you love! You can make homemade bagels to really go above and beyond or your favorite store-bought variety.
- Romesco Sauce: this is a bold Spanish sauce that’s loaded with flavor. Umami richness from sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red bell peppers, parsley, garlic, and more. It *makes* this sandwich, plus it pairs really well with eggs.
- Cream Cheese: a creamy, tangy addition, and because you know a bagel sandwich wouldn’t be right without some schmear. Stick with plain cream cheese since there’s so much flavor from the sauce.
- Arugula & Microgreens: the arugula adds a hint of pepperiness, and the microgreens just feel a little extra fancy (and nutritious!).
- Avocado Slices: move over avocado toast, this satisfying addition is creamy and adds hearty nutrition to the sammy.
- Egg: as you can see, a perfectly runny fried egg is *the* move for this sandwich. If you prefer, try soft jammy eggs or scrambled.
If you really want to go all out, try caramelized onions, or add another layer of sliced cheese, or fresh tomatoes.
Let’s Make a Breakfast Bagel Sandwich!
This bagel sandwich is best made when you’re ready to enjoy it. That means relaxing mornings with kitchen dancing, hot coffee, and the sounds of sizzling. If you’re looking for a more make-ahead, meal prep option, try our frozen breakfast burritos.
Make the Romesco Sauce
The one component you will want to make ahead of time is the romesco sauce. You can use storebought, too, but trust me when I say this homemade version is top-notch.
Now, even if you don’t make it ahead of time, no worries. It comes together in just 5 minutes in the food processor.
Fry the Egg
Another quick and easy prep step – make the egg! We’re frying the egg over easy so it’s runny, but not overly so. Just enough to get the creamy egg yolk with a set egg white.
If you’re preparing another version of eggs, proceed as you will!
Otherwise, my favorite way to fry an egg is to first heat a pan over medium-high-ish heat. Add a dollop of butter in the center, and crack the egg directly on the melted butter.
Cook until the egg whites are set. Then, I flip it over with a spatula and cook for just a minute or two to ensure the egg whites are set. But not too long, so the egg stays runny!
Assemble the Sandwich
Now really, all that’s left to do is assemble the sandwich.
Because warm toasty bagels are just the best, give your bagel halves a quick toast in your toaster. Once they’re done and still warm, spread cream cheese on one half, and the romesco sauce on the other half.
The beauty of sandwiches is making them exactly to your tastes, so adjust as needed.
Layer the bottom half of the bagel with arugula, avocado slices, and microgreens, if using. Then, top with your egg and finish it off with the top half of the bagel.
This ultimate bagel sandwich doesn’t need much more. It’s got flavor, texture, veggies, and protein. It’s delicious, hearty, and satisfying.
But I’ll never say no to other noshes at breakfast, either. Of course, you cannot go wrong with a glass of our most popular cold brew on a hot day, or a homemade caramel latte.
I recommend serving fresh fruit at the breakfast table, and if you’re really feeling like a special brunch, add some mascarpone fruit dip.
And you know breakfast sandwiches pair oh so well with a side of crispy potatoes.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating and review in the form below. I appreciate your feedback, and it helps others, too!
Get the Recipe Vegetarian Breakfast Bagel Sandwich with Romesco
- 4 Tablespoons romesco sauce
- 1-2 Tablespoons unsalted butter or neutral oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 everything bagels, sliced
- 4 Tablespoons plain cream cheese, divided
- 1 avocado, sliced, divided
- 1/2 cup arugula, divided
- Handful of microgreens, optional
- Prepare the romesco sauce in a food processor if you don't already have it made or bought.
- Eggs: Heat a non-stick skillet (or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet) over medium-high heat. Melt 1-2 tablespoons of butter or a drizzle of oil in the center of the pan. Once hot, crack the eggs into the melted butter. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the whites are set. Then, flip the egg and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until the yolks are cooked as desired. I recommend still runny with set egg whites.
- Meanwhile, toast bagels. Then, spread one bagel half with around 2 tablespoons of cream cheese, and the other with 2 tablespoons of romesco sauce. Repeat on the other bagel.
- Finish assembling the sandwiches by layering on the arugula and microgreens if using, half of the avocado slices, and then the fried egg. Top with the other half of the bagel and enjoy!
First of all, I cannot get over these PHOTOS! These are just stunning! Secondly, would you believe I’ve never had romesco before?! I need to get on that train STAT because this looks incredible!
Thanks, Liz! It’s a new addition to my life too, and I can’t believe it’s taken so long! I’m so obsessed now!
I LOVE breakfast sandwiches but had never tried Romesco sauce until this recipe. What a great addition to elevate the flavor. So good! It passed my husband’s “would you order it again?” standard. I did skip the avocado as we are not fans (I know, I know…) and it was still great.
I’m so glad to hear it passed the test 😉 thanks so much, Shelley!!