And so Monday happens again, but this time with super comforting soup that’s gonna give us a big ol’ hug.
It’s desperately needed today. Not only because it’s Monday, but because the temperature just majorly dropped. Overnight. That’s Minnesota for you… 50 degrees one day, 22 degrees the next. That, my friends, is why Minnesotans are known as crazy. We stick it out with that insanity. As long as there’s comforting soup anyway.
Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Soup is the ultimate comfort. I’ve been on a serious butternut squash kick this year. As for soup…. soup isn’t one of my favorites. Yes, you read that right, soup just isn’t something I go to as a meal, unless I’m super sick and then it’s my mom’s famous chicken and noodles.
BUT YOU GUYS. I made this soup – mostly because I had extra butternut squash and sweet potatoes. And as mentioned, I’m loving the butternut squash, and I wanted something lighter, healthier, and vegan. So this soup came to life. And I couldn’t stop eating it.
It’s not like I hate soup, I always enjoy a bite or two, but having a bowl of soup and nothing else for dinner is not for me. I get bored, I want more. The first night I made this soup though, I couldn’t stop taking bite, after bite, after bite.
That’s when I knew this was a winner. When a self-proclaimed non-soup-lover can’t stop eating it, that’s a good sign.
Let me tell you about this soup now. It’s so absolutely creamy – and purely because of VEGETABLES! No cream to make it creamy (although you could top with a little if your heart so desires). I love that I can make a soup that feels absolutely luxurious and therefore indulgent, but really, it’s so uber healthy! Sometimes it’s about the mind games, people.
Ok – and this time of year – time is a hot commodity, am I right? This recipe is SO EASY, you won’t have to spend all of your evening making dinner. One pan, all ingredients cook, use the immersion blender (or a blender blender), and bam! You’ve got dinner. Healthy, satisfying, comforting dinner perfect for a cold Monday night.
I like to top it off with extra thyme, pepper, and sometimes pumpkin seeds for an extra crunch. It’s also amazing with naan, crackers, or a crusty baguette. No shortage of carbs here, ever. 😂Print
A comforting soup that’s perfect for cold winter nights. Made in one pot with lots of fresh thyme, a kick of white pepper, and a hint of cinnamon for warmth!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot or small yellow onion, roughly chopped (~1/2 cup)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, diced (~2 cups)
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups butternut squash cubes (~1 small squash)
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 3/4 – 2 cups vegetable stock
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic, cook for 2 minutes. Add sweet potato and butternut squash. Stir in salt, white pepper, thyme, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Continue to cook for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 3/4 cups vegetable stock. Use an immersion blender (or a regular blender) to puree soup. Add more vegetable stock to reach desired consistency. Blend until smooth.
- Top with pumpkin seeds and serve with a crusty loaf of bread for the ultimate experience.